Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Guard Dogs & Rainy Day Visitors

We just had our excitement for the day.

No one ever comes down my driveway. No one.

I was busy looking around the net and there they were.

Two young men in black. I waited. No doorbell. I heard them say, "I know she saw us".

I have my blinds up so I can see birds. After they rang, I ventured over to the door. I wasn't getting up from my old arse without them working for it. I have my busy net exploring life .. after all.

I did have to wait for my second big barking dog to arrive though. She was upstairs napping on my daughter's bed. Takes a while for her to actually get up and down the stairs and get ready to bark at someone. I opened my door just enough so they could see and hear my girls.

One of them mentioned something about 'guard dogs'. I said, "what can I help you with ?"

He said, "we're the missionaries".

Like, he's said that so many times he has it down to a statement of fact. He knows that everyone knows what that means. I did but I checked their name tags to make sure. I simply wouldn't be walking around with a name tag trying to sell my views. Maybe that's why I'm not in a 'view' at the moment. Just me. Maybe ... obviously, some people rather enjoy it. Walking around going door to door on rainy days. It's just not my cup of tea. Must be in the rules and I'm sure a few read that part and skedaddled out the door. Door seems to be a theme here.

I told him I was a 'vacationing' viewer so we probably wouldn't have much to talk about. That's all it took. They started to turn and walk off my porch. I told them to "have a nice day in the rain".

That was the best 'view' visitors, I have ever had come to my door.

I don't mind views. I grew up with a view, been on a long vacation from it for a while ... thus, the term mentioned above. I don't mind a bit of this or that in conversation but basically I like to not be bothered at my door.

That's the one thing I realized when I bought my first home. You try to be nice at first. I even asked one set of 'view' visitors to come on in and help me wash the floor ... they weren't getting the hint that I was busy. My guard dog at the time was barking to help me. And, no they didn't come inside to help me clean. I wouldn't have let it get that far but for a moment I did think ... if they want to sell me on their view ... well, they're going to have to help clean this house. Just for a moment ... like two minutes or ten seconds ... that's what I thought. I was a young mother with a messy house and a book that was waiting for me and a list a mile long and I was trying to be nice. It's just that they were the wrong kind. I like the kind that make me laugh and bring dessert with them. The kind that plays with the baby while I talk about life while scrubbing the floor.

Oh a fact here ... I generally pick my guard dog by the bark. Woof Woof and I'm sold. That and the brown eyes.

I'm all for everyone believing in whatever they wish. I just don't want it at my doorstep. Not unless you're a friend or relative and even then, I'll probably bypass that topic.

Oh, by the way, I'm having tea on this rainy day, with my two guard dogs, who are snoozing now. They're getting older and this barking thing gets them tired.

I had a few more things to do today. If they'd pressed, I would have asked them to help comb the big dogs.

Are your dogs rested up? They might just be ringing your door bell next.

I had to write about it ... cause well they were such pleasant visitors and that doesn't happen too often.

I have to get back to my net exploring and my tea now ... all this excitement has got me tired too !!!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I think I have the same "view" as you JC. I don't answer the door if I am by myself.

Anonymous said...

I have to do the barking now that my dogs are both deaf!
:-)
I feel the same way, I don't judge, but please don't disturb me. I'm very blunt now, I just say "no thank you" and close the door, or I simply don't answer it.

JC said...

This happened last week. I wrote about it and put it in my blog list.

I try not to be too mean. I've had people selling aweful chocolates, magazines, and views on life. (what I call various religions ... again, I'm not for or against any of them ... and I don't mind talking about any of them ... I just want to do that ... when I want .. and like I said, I'm a vacationing viewer.

Not an easy way to do things ... some people are very friendly at the door and others ... like me ... have dogs and well, like I said ... I like my peace and quiet.

Tea time for bonzo

Stella Jones said...

Be very careful who you open the door to. If you read my story 'The Jug', you'll see why.
Take care.
Blessings, Star

Natalie said...

Hi JC, I am glad you have your dogs. I find it terribly OFFENSIVE that people come to my door, most often when i am trying to feed and bath the bubs, or prepare dinner for other five of us. Like you, I used to be really kind but no more.I tell them that they are rude and thoughtless, when they can see that I am obviously swamped. Then I ask them ,where in the good book, does it tell them to be rude to people? Usually they have no answer and go away.

There comes a time in your life when you walk away from all of the drama and the people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right and pray for those who don’t. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of life, getting back up is living.

~ Jose N. Harris

Characters In My Garden

Purr Gang ~ My five cats

Cats ~ Al, Ashton Rosevelt, Jasmine Marie, Riley Andrew & Meredith Ann

Fur Gang ~ Jodie Isabella and Sally Jean
(The Original member, Sweet Bella is in memory only now. Maddy Jean, another original member, past away in August of 2014)

Mr. Boatman ~ my husband who likes boats

DD ~ my daughter who graduated and is now out living in the real world

DS or Dson ~ my son is studying computer science and math



Maddy Jean & Bella

Maddy Jean & Bella
Both gone but never forgotten

Jodie Isabella

Jodie Isabella

Al

Al
I adopted him from our local Humane Society

Ashton

Ashton
Adopted from my local horse supply store

Jasmine

Jasmine
I adopted her from Purrfect Pals

Riley

Riley
I adopted him from the local Humane Society

Meredith Ann

Meredith Ann
I adopted her from Purrfect Pals