Saturday, April 18, 2009

Old Dogs

I posted on another blog about old dogs.



Old Dogs ... boy do I know all about that ! I'm on my 3rd set of them. I was the one who took Lindsey, my black lab, in. She was 11 and had cancer in her leg. We had decided not to operate due to her age. Of course, as time went on my husband changed his mind and I had to remind him, it was too late. The day my husband told me it was time, he had been up with her all night. She just could not get comfortable. I took her to the vet the next morning before I could think too much about it. It's very hard to do when they are still mentally with us. I cried for days. A cry that took my soul with it. I have always figured it was my job as their Mom to know when it was the right time. Luckily, I have gotten it right or pretty darn close, each time. You will know !!! I now have a 7 yr old choc lab who is aging very fast. She's going into dementia along with the bad leg / hip. So, I too will be in your boat soon. Til then I help her up the stairs and check on her when she forgets to come to the door. Just things we do for the one we love.

What do you think ? Tell me about your dogs ?


And here's a pic of that old dog who I help up the stairs ...



4 comments:

Nancy said...

You sound like a good and kind person. Bless you.

We currently have a black lab named Lucy. She is our empty nest child. We have had two others for their lifespan - both golden retrievers that died in my arms, so I know your pain. We may be getting my daughter's dog that is going lame and needs a little more care and attention than a college student can give. Along with her aging cat. Sigh.

JC said...

I know about 'getting' dogs and cats. I took in my Mom's dog, Sweetie Pie, when Mom got sick. She had been abused before Mom got her from a rescue group and due to that, she shook all the time. I would sit with her and pet her and tell her stories.

Maddy Jean is my second Golden. My first was named Sandra Dee and lived to be 14.

Joanne said...

We had a 10 year old cat who got very sick a couple years ago, and when she was at the vet, he called to say she wouldn't make it through the day. We rushed to be with her when she was euthanized. There is such sadness to those moments, but it is buoyed by the pure presence of ourselves and our pet at that time.

Reya Mellicker said...

The stories on my blog were heartbreakingly beautiful! As is your story.

Happy weekend, JC!

There comes a time in your life when you walk away from all of the drama and the people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right and pray for those who don’t. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of life, getting back up is living.

~ Jose N. Harris

Characters In My Garden

Purr Gang ~ My five cats

Cats ~ Al, Ashton Rosevelt, Jasmine Marie, Riley Andrew & Meredith Ann

Fur Gang ~ Jodie Isabella and Sally Jean
(The Original member, Sweet Bella is in memory only now. Maddy Jean, another original member, past away in August of 2014)

Mr. Boatman ~ my husband who likes boats

DD ~ my daughter who graduated and is now out living in the real world

DS or Dson ~ my son is studying computer science and math



Maddy Jean & Bella

Maddy Jean & Bella
Both gone but never forgotten

Jodie Isabella

Jodie Isabella

Al

Al
I adopted him from our local Humane Society

Ashton

Ashton
Adopted from my local horse supply store

Jasmine

Jasmine
I adopted her from Purrfect Pals

Riley

Riley
I adopted him from the local Humane Society

Meredith Ann

Meredith Ann
I adopted her from Purrfect Pals